- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of butter (I know this isn't dairy-free, I cheated a little bit on the diet.)
- 8 cups of water
- 28 ounces of canned, cut up tomatoes
- 3/4 cup of dry lentils (Remember to rinse and drain them so you don't add anything weird, like a rock, to your soup.)
- 3/4 cup of pearl barley (Wash these too, see above.)
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary needles/leaves (If you can crush or cut these or get them smaller, then good for you. I always end up picking the long pieces out of my soup.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried, crushed oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cups of carrots, sliced thinly
- Parmesan or Swiss cheese to top if you so like
In a large pot, melt butter and cook onion, celery and garlic until tender. Add water, the undrained cans of tomatoes, the washed lentils and pearl barley, bouillon cubes, rosemary, oregano, pepper, and salt. Bring it to boiling then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Add carrots and cook until tender. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top.
This soup is so yummy, I made a big batch and heated it up a few times over the course of a week or so. The soup does absorb a lot of water though so you may need to add more water to it over the days as you serve yourself the leftovers.
Let me know what you think of the soup!