I've been fortunate this past week and a half to be able to work from home. It saves me a long commute and I get to sleep in a few hours. But working from home has its own annoyances; here are a few tips if you do, or are going to, work from home. Side note: these also apply to homework.
- Keep your personal cell phone off and away. You (probably) don't look at it at work, so why have it within reach at home?
- Shut the door to the room you're in. It keeps people and sound out (to an extent.)
- Have a schedule. Set an alarm. Get up. Just because you're working at home, doesn't mean you should wake up at ten.
- Tell your family to leave you alone. Seriously.
- Use a program like Cold Turkey to keep you off of anything that can distract you.
- Eat meals away from your computer. This applies to both being at work and home. It allows for a change of scenery and position and it's not good for you to eat lunch at your desk.
- When you're done, put work away and out of sight. That way you can relax.
Are there any tips you've found help you for working at home?